Following the Crucified
>> Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Recently I just finished reading Elisabeth Elliot's biography of Amy Carmichael, and I would highly recommend the book to anyone and everyone. The book inspired and challenged me by revealing Amma's (Amy Carmichael was called "Amma" by the hundreds who were served by her during her life in India) desire for God, her fervent dedication to prayer and her vision; yet at the same time it allowed me to glimpse her struggles and hardships....some of which I may experience. But perhaps the characteristic I admire the most was her passion for preaching the gospel in every area of her life. When asked about how many thousands of toenails she must have cut - a task no one in strict Indian caste society would have accepted pay to perform - she replied, "I said I would never do any work but 'preach the gospel.' It takes some of us years to learn what preaching the gospel means."